Monday, September 8, 2014

Hospital Stay

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Many dads question if they should stay in the hospital with their S.O. after she gives birth. Some ask if they should stay overnight on that nice comfy couch (sarcasm) or head home for a couple peaceful nights sleep before the baby comes home. The idea rolls around in your head a little, I know it did with me, but in the end this is the biggest test to being a parent. Try to switch things around to make sure you spend the night with your S.O. and newborn to be there for many firsts and moments you will never forget.

First Diaper Change

When I stayed in the hospital with my S.O. I was blessed with the first messy diaper that was conjured up from Satan himself. The terrible concoction of events made it a nerve-wracking experience for me being I've never changed a diaper before in my life, the room was full of at least ten family and friends watching me do it, and above all ensuring you don't vomit. New dads should know that females and males should be cleaned from front to back, and always remember that males have a reflex to urinate when the diaper is pulled off. It is best to use the diaper as a shield for a few moments until they urinate. If they haven't urinated in about thirty-forty five seconds it is 'safe' to continue with the change. It is VERY important to ensure if there is fecal matter to clean it all off and always go towards the bottom of the baby to avoid urinary tract infections.


Hospital Food

Our hospital luckily had a pretty decent cafeteria. The food was fantastic, but always bring some light snacks to get you through the day and save some money from the $1.75 pack of M&Ms in the cafeteria. I unfortunately forgot to do this part, but take some cash with you to the hospital in case your S.O. is hungry for non hospital Jell-O or if you need to grab something to eat. Some hospitals do NOT take credit cards, and have an ATM available with a surcharge of $3.00 or more per transaction.


Shower There or Go Home?

I personally went home around 6:00 A.M each day to grab a coffee from my favorite coffee shop and to also grab a nice high pressure shower to start my new day as a dad. The hospital showers can be unclean, and also carry low pressure in the nozzle causing you to stand there for ten minutes to rinse your hair. Also, taking care of morning business was a lot easier at home, but this was because the hospital porcelain throne was so far off the ground I felt like I was in kindergarten. Your S.O. shouldn't have a problem with you taking off for a little bit to check up on the homestead, feed the fur-babies, and of course come back with some nice flowers or snacks. 


The Carseat

Put the carseat in. Put the carseat in. Put the carseat in. Don't wait until last minute like we did so you don't have to put it in a dark parking garage while trying to be discharged. Every carseat is different, and rather than tell you what to do please be sure to read your car seats manual and vehicle manual to ensure the seat is secure. Unfortunately, my wife's car was a little smaller (2011 Chevy Cruze) and the seat had to go so far up that my knees were hitting the dashboard. Fortunately, I found an article on WebMD (and later confirmed with other safety resources) that you CAN place a car seat in the middle of the backseat and it is completely safe. Some sources state that the middle of the back seat is safer due to a side impact being further away from your babycakes. 

That is all for today! I appreciate you reading this blog! Due to recent requests I will be looking to post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with an occasional Saturday/Sunday post. Topics will include: Health/Food/Formula, Cleaning (Both house and infant), Safety/Life Events (of Akeyzia), and Toys/Accessories/Etc.

As always, feel free to shoot me an email with questions or anything you'd like covered on this blog to: dadsdiaperbag@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment